Lentils mimic Salisbury steak so beautifully in my vegan take on this classic dish. Smothered in mushroom gravy, it is so delicious, super easy and filled with protein!
- 2 C. Cooked Lentils
- 1 C. Vital wheat gluten
- 1 C. Bread crumbs, vegan
- 1/2 C. Vegetable broth
- 1/4 C. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 Tsp. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp. All purpose flour
- 2 C. Vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. Sage, dried
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make the Salisbury steak first. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the cooked lentils. Using either a potato masher or fork. Mash the lentils until they are almost all mashed, leaving a bit of texture.
- Now add all the remaining Salisbury steak ingredients to the bowl except the olive oil, that is for cooking them. Start to stir to mix the wet and dry together, then using your hands, continue to mix until fully combined. Then knead together the mixture, knead for a few minutes until it forms a nice dough ball that isn’t sticky any more. (The longer you knead them, the firmer they will be)
- Now taking large balls of dough, roll then flatten to look like steak. Repeat until you have formed all the dough into “steaks”.
- Heat the olive in a cast iron skillet or non stick pan on medium high. Now add the steak to the pan, as many as you can fit. You can do it in batches. Cook the lentil steaks on each side for 2-3 minutes until brown and cooked through.
- Remove the steaks from the pan, and set aside while you make the gravy.
- Now make the gravy, heat the olive oil in the same pan on medium high, add the mushrooms and garlic. Saute for a few minutes sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Saute until soft and a bit brown. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low. Now add the vegan butter and flour. Whisk together and cook for 1-2 minutes to make a roux. It should be a bit thick and paste like.
- Now add the veggie broth, whisk to combine. Simmer until it has thickened 2-4 minutes. Now add the mushrooms back to the pan, and the spices. Stir. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Now either add the steaks back to the pan and cook with the gravy for a minute, then serve. Or put the steaks on a serving dish, and cover with gravy! Serve with veggies and carbs!
I used green lentils, but any lentils will do.
Make sure the “steaks” aren’t too thick, or they won’t firm up as much in the center.
SOURCE: Rabbit and Wolves