Anne Arundel County prosecutors filed a 23-count indictment Friday against Jarrod Ramos, the suspect in the deadly shooting at the Capital Gazette newsroom last month, they announced in a news release.
The indictment means Ramos, 38, is now charged with attempted murder, assault and weapons offenses in addition to five counts of first degree murder.
Ramos was taken into custody in the newsroom June 28, where police say they found him hiding under a desk after the shooting rampage. Police have said that he used a shotgun to blast his way into the newspaper’s offices before opening fire on the 11 people working inside.
The filing of an indictment is largely a procedural step that moves the case to Circuit Court where Ramos would ultimately stand trial.
Ramos faces five first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Rob Hiaasen, 59, an assistant editor and columnist; Wendi Winters, 65, a community correspondent who headed special publications; Gerald Fischman, 61, the editorial page editor; John McNamara, 56, a longtime sports writer; and Rebecca Smith, 34, a sales assistant hired in November.
The indictment alleged that Ramos attempted to murder photographer Paul W. Gillespie. Gillespie said in an interview this week that he thinks Ramos shot at him as he fled the newsroom.
Thousands of people have contributed nearly $685,000 to a pair of funds created after the June 28 mass shooting in the Capital Gazette newsroom, and donations small and large continue to come in.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun, Ian Duncan