Roasted pork, steamed rice, steak, sushi and KFC. That’s what the 12 rescued Thai boys and their soccer coach will seek out after they finally leave the hospital next week.
Doctors say the boys will be released from the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital on Thursday after donning surgical masks to ward off infection. The boys survived the harrowing rescue from a flooded cave in northern Thailand last week.
Public Health Minister Dr. Piyasakol Sakolsattayatorn told reporters Saturday that the boys, ranging from 11 to 16 years old and their 25-year-old coach were healthy and should be discharged this week.
“All of the 13 people, their physical bodies are strong and fit. Regarding infections, through the medical evaluations in the first days there may be some of them that had minor pneumonia, but now all is cleared, no fever,” Piyasakol said.
Several were also reported earlier to be recovering from minor lung and middle ear infections.
In a hospital video recorded Friday, the boys sent messages to well-wishers and started each with a “wai,” the traditional Thai greeting with hands raised to chest level and palms together.
The boys were shown in their sterile hospital rooms donning the surgical masks that could be removed Saturday, doctors said. Despite the physical progress, doctors warned the group still faces a psychological test to ensure their well-being.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: USA Today, Nick Penzenstadler