Stephon Clark Laid to Rest as Protests Continue in California Over His Killing

Family photograph of Stephan Clark who was holding his cellphone when he was fatally shot Sunday night by two Sacramento police officers who fired at him 20 times, the department said Tuesday. Credit: KXTV

Stephon Clark, the 22-year-old black man who was unarmed when police shot and killed him in Sacramento earlier this month, was laid to rest Thursday as mass protests over his death continue in California’s capital.

The funeral service, which was open to the public, was held at BOSS Church in south Sacramento.

Multiple family members spoke at the service, telling stories of Clark’s childhood and his dedication to his children.

His brother, Stevante Clark, was very emotional during the service, hugging many of the speakers near the podium and addressing the crowd.

People gather outside the home, March 21, 2018, where Stephon Alonzo Clark, 22, was shot and killed by a pair of Sacramento Police officers in Sacramento, Calif. (Rich Pedroncelli/AP)
Stevante Clark, brother of Stephon Clark, addresses fellow protesters in response to the police shooting of his brother in Sacramento, Calif., on March 28, 2018. (Josh Edelson/AFP via Getty Images)

Stevante led a chant of “I am” with the crowd responding with “Stephon Clark.”

The Rev. Al Sharpton delivered the eulogy.

“This is a national fight. Stephon has woke up the nation. We all stand with Stephon Clark,” Sharpton said to the crowd. “We are going to make Donald Trump and the whole world deal with the issue of police misconduct.”

A wake for Clark took place at the church Wednesday night.

Clark died on the night of March 18 after Sacramento police fired 20 bullets at him in his grandmother’s yard. He was a father of a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: ABC News, Josiah Bates and Morgan Winsor