U.S. military personnel fired shots on Monday as they stopped a man who tried to force his way into a British military base used by the U.S. air force, police said.
The Mildenhall Royal Air Force base said security staff locked down the base, used by the United States to refuel U.S. and NATO aircraft in Europe, at about 1300 GMT following reports of a disturbance.
“Shots were fired by American service personnel and a man has been detained with cuts and bruises and taken into custody,” Suffolk Police said. “No other people have been injured as a result of the incident.”
The U.S. Air Force said the incident at the base, which is about 77 miles (124 km) northeast of London, had been contained and that the suspect had been apprehended.
Police said they remained on the base but there was no ongoing threat to the base or local community.
“Police are not looking for anyone else on the site,” Suffolk force said on Twitter.
The U.S. embassy declined immediate comment.
The 1,162-acre base, which houses about 3,100 U.S. military and an additional 3,000 family members, is earmarked for closure after the U.S. said it was going to move is operations from the base to Germany.
Mildenhall houses the 100th Air Refueling Wing and some special operations squadrons.
“The base was locked down and emergency personnel are responding to the situation,” RAF Mildenhall said in a statement. “Individuals in the area surrounding the installation are asked to avoid the base at this time.”
A spokesman for the base said the lockdown had later been lifted.
Prosecutors said Junead Khan had used his job to scout RAF Mildenhall and two other U.S. bases while on carrying out deliveries.