The contributions and achievements of black Americans are celebrated throughout the month of February with Black History Month. In celebration of the month-long recognition, some inspiring quotes from black leaders, prominent figures and celebrities have been shared below, courtesy of Quote Garden and Pop Sugar:
1. “Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave. I rise. I rise. I rise.” –Maya Angelou
2. “Racial superiority is a mere pigment of the imagination.” –Unknown
3. “In this country American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.” –Toni Morrison
4. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” –Martin Luther King Jr.
5. “In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute.” –Thurgood Marshall
6. “For Africa to me … is more than a glamorous fact. It is a historical truth. No man can know where he is going unless he knows exactly where he has been and exactly how he arrived at his present place.” –Maya Angelou
7. “Defining myself, as opposed to being defined by others, is one of the most difficult challenges I face.” –Carol Moseley Braun
8. “Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.” –Zora Neale Hurston
9. “Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.” –Dr. Mae Jemison
10. “For I am my mother’s daughter, and the drums of Africa still beat in my heart.” –Mary McLeod Bethune
11. “The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression.” –W.E.B. Du Bois
Click here to read more.
Source: International Business Times