Paris Attacks Suspect Seeks Extradition to France ‘as Quickly as Possible’

paris-suspect-wants-extradition

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam has changed his mind and will not fight extradition from Belgium to France, his lawyer says.

Abdeslam is one of the key suspects in November’s Paris attacks which left 130 people dead.

He was arrested and wounded in a police raid on Friday in Brussels.

On Tuesday, suicide bombs in Brussels killed 31 people. The attacks are thought to be linked to the Paris attacks network and Abdeslam’s arrest.

So-called Islamic State (IS) has said it was behind both attacks.

On Thursday, Belgium lowered its alert to the second-highest level.

Abdeslam’s lawyer, Sven Mary, told French media he “wishes to leave for France as quickly as possible” so he could “explain himself in France”.

Mr Mary had previously said Abdeslam, a 26-year-old French national born in Belgium, intended to fight extradition to France.

The Belgian interior and justice ministers, Jan Jambon and Koen Geens, have offered to resign over the attack – but Prime Minister Charles Michel refused to accept their resignation.

Mr Jambon admitted “errors” had been made after Turkey said on Wednesday that it had warned that one of the Brussels attackers, Brahim el-Bakraoui, was a foreign fighter, but that its warning had been “ignored” by Belgium.

Abdeslam did not have prior knowledge of the Brussels bombings and had stopped co-operating with police following the attacks, Mr Mary said.

A court hearing on Thursday on the detention of Abdeslam and two other suspects has been postponed until 7 April.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: BBC News