An Iranian revolutionary court has handed down a verdict in the case of the detained Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian, a judiciary official said Sunday, according to the semiofficial Tabnak website.
The official, Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei, said a final verdict had been rendered, but he did not provide any further details. Mr. Rezaian’s lawyer, Leila Ahsan, said in a telephone interview that neither she nor members of Mr. Rezaian’s family had received the verdict. “We have no idea whether the verdict was handed to Jason himself,” she added.
Mr. Rezaian, who was arrested in July 2014, has been detained for longer than the Americans held during the 1979-81 Iran hostage crisis. An American of Iranian descent from Marin County, Calif., he was prosecuted on charges of espionage and other crimes in a closed trial, which ended nearly two months ago with no verdict announced. He has denied any wrongdoing. Mr. Rezaian is one of three Americans of Iranian descent imprisoned in Iran.
According to Iranian law, a 20-day period for an appeal begins when a verdict is issued, but Ms. Ahsan said that she needed to see the verdict in order to make an appeal. “Now, I do not know what I am appealing against,” she said.
In a statement, Martin Baron, the executive editor of The Washington Post, said it was “not clear whether this ruling includes a verdict or a sentence — or even whether its contents have been communicated to Jason or his lawyer.”
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: NY Times, Thomas Erdbrink