The Philippines declared that the second case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Corona Virus (MERS-CoV) in the country has been confirmed. Health authorities said that it was a 36-year-old foreigner who came to the country from Dubai. He is currently under quarantine.
The patient arrived in the country on June 19, 2015, who went to both Saudi Arabia and Dubai prior to his flight to the Philippines. On his flight, he did not manifest any signs and symptoms suggestive of MERS-CoV. The patient then exhibited fever and cough on Tuesday, June 30, the health department reported. He went to a medical care facility on Thursday, July 2 to have himself checked. He was tested and came out positive for the virus during the said hospital visit. On Saturday, July 4, he was transferred to the government-run Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, which is located south of the capital Manila. According to the Department of Health secretary Janette Garin, the patient is currently showing implications of recovery as evidenced by low viral levels.
Contact tracing had been initiated and those who came in close contact with the patient are currently being sought. The health authorities are looking to find 200 passengers aboard the patient’s flight and 19 close contacts. One particular woman, who is a native of the country, has been symptomatic. She had been traced and isolated, with diagnostic test results still pending.
SOURCE: Tech Times