At least 14 people were killed and 74 injured were Saturday in a suicide bomb attack at a crowded market in Chad’s capital, N’Djamena.
The incident came hours after at least 10 villagers were slain in Ngamdu, Nigeria, when Boko Haram Islamic extremists attacked their settlement and took over a major highway in the region.
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the Chad attack, as well for a second Nigerian attack, this one in the city of Maiduguri, the SITE Intelligence Group said.
The U.S.-based monitoring group said the claim, made on Twitter, was signed “Islamic State, West Africa Province,” as Boko Haram has styled itself since pledging allegiance to the Islamic State group in March.
“Our current count is 15 dead,” N’Djamena police spokesman Paul Manga said. The total included the suicide bomber — a man dressed in a woman’s burqa.
Chad authorities banned the head-to-toe religious garment last month, citing the risk that attackers could use it as a disguise or hide explosives underneath.
The bomber attempted to enter the market, then detonated his bomb when military police tried to stop him, Manga said.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: VOA News