Broadband provider CenturyLink has joined the list of ISPs and trade groups suing the U.S. Federal Communications Commission over its net neutrality rules.
CenturyLink filed its lawsuit Friday, becoming the seventh organization to challenge the rules approved by the FCC in late February. The FCC officially published the rules in the Federal Register, the official publication for U.S. agency rules, earlier this week, prompting a round of lawsuits.
The company objected to the FCC’s reclassification of broadband from a lightly regulated information service to a more heavily regulated common-carrier service. CenturyLink spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year to “build, maintain and update an open Internet network and does not block or degrade lawful content,” it said in a statement.
The common-carrier regulations, dating back to the 1930s, “not only have no place in the 21st century economy, but will chill innovation and investment,” the company added.
The FCC is confident it will prevail in the lawsuits, Chairman Tom Wheeler said Friday.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Computer World, Grant Gross