The Saga of Suge Knight

© Robyn Beck/Reuters Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight appears in court for a bail review hearing in Los Angeles, California March 20, 2015.
© Robyn Beck/Reuters Rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight appears in court for a bail review hearing in Los Angeles, California March 20, 2015.

The woes are mounting for Marion “Suge” Knight. The 49-year-old Death Row Records co-founder and hip-hop impresario—who is charged with murdering Terry Carter by consciously running over him with his car, with the attempted murder of Cle “Bone” Sloan outside a restaurant in Compton, California in late January, and with two counts of hit-and-run—collapsed in a Los Angeles courtroom minutes after his bail was set at $25 million, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Although the start of Friday morning’s hearing had been delayed because Knight missed the bus that was to transport him to the courthouse from prison, onlookers say he appeared lucid at first. Later, his attorney, Matt Fletcher, told NBC4 that he noticed Knight’s eyelids were fluttering, and that he was “dripping sweat, like someone poured a bucket of water on him.” His left shoulder reportedly began twitching and he appeared tense upon hearing news of the bail figure and other charges that were to be discussed in the hearing.

Suddenly he fell to the ground, hitting his head on the table, and was rendered unconscious, according to CBS Los Angeles. Knight’s lawyer said he remained unconscious for about 10 minutes. The judge then closed the courtroom. Knight was taken by firefighters via a gurney to the prison ward at Los Angeles County USC Medical Center, where his condition is being monitored, according to Nicole Nishida, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Knight said he hadn’t taken his diabetes medication, but a spokeswoman speaking to NBC4 said authorities had offered him the medication earlier in the day. Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes, a prosecutor for the case, told the Los Angeles Times that she thought Knight “did it in front of the cameras.”

During the hearing (which Knight’s defense had requested), Fletcher pleaded for a decrease in the bail requirement, saying it was “unwarranted.” Knight’s bail was originally set at $2.2 million when he was booked on January 30. Then, the district attorney’s office went through the bail magistrate and was able to get him held without bail temporarily.

Barnes countered that Knight’s $25 million bail was too low, citing more than two dozen official reports and documents alleging his involvement in a slew of schemes and crimes, including laundering more than $10 million, extorting “taxes” out of hip-hop artists, committing robberies and assault and making threats or acting violently in more than 31 separate instances.

“I was appalled at all these crimes–he basically is above the law,” she said during the hearing, and presented almost 300 pages of arguments and evidence to corroborate her claim.

Click here to read more

Source: Newsweek | Paula Mejia