A man in Providence, Rhode Island got the fright of a lifetime this week when he went to use his friend’s bathroom and the restroom exploded.
Neurosurgeon Jeffrey Oppenheim of New York was visiting his friend Andrew Pessin on Sunday when he went to use the first floor bathroom just 10 minutes after arriving.
Oppenheim says he heard a strange clicking noise – like a pilot light igniting – in the lavatory just second before a mysterious combustive force threw him out of the room and into the kitchen.
‘It happened in an instant like getting hit by a cannon,’ Oppenheim told WLNE.
His friend Pessin was sitting down in the kitchen with his three sons when he caught wind of a burning smell and immediately carried his children to safety and called 911.
‘Oh it was horrible they were petrified screaming standing in the snow screaming, barefoot,’ Pessin said of his 9, 7, and 5-year-old sons.
Oppenheim told Daily Mail Online that it’s believed a gas leak sparked the blast.
Authorities allegedly told his friend that gas may have leaked in from outside the house, and that it can lose it’s rotten egg odor (caused by added mercaptan) if it passes up through the ground.
SOURCE: Daily Mail