ISIS Vows to Take Kobani Back

isis-vows-take-back-kobani

For the first time since it was reported last week, Isis has confirmed that it has been driven out of the Syrian town of Kobani — but said it will return to attack.

In a video released on Friday by the Pro-Isis Aamaq News Agency, two masked fighters conceded defeat in Kobani following air strikes by the US and a coalition of countries.

On Monday, Kurdish officials claimed the town was almost free of Isis fighters, who only months earlier controlled half of it.

One Isis fighter vowed to defeat the main Kurdish militia in Syria, the People’s Protection Units known as the YPG, calling them “rats.”

The failure to hold Kobani represents a major blow to Isis (also known as Islamic State); hopes of a straightforward victory broke down as the costly siege struggled under devastating air strikes by coalition forces and a ground assault by Kurdish militiamen.

“A while ago we retreated a bit from Ayn al-Islam because of the bombardment and the killing of some brothers,” said one of the fighters, using the Isis name for Kobani.

He spoke Arabic with a north African accent.

The US and several Arab allies have been striking Isis positions in Syria since September.

The attacks were to halt the jihadi organisation’s once seemingly unstoppable momentum, after Isis took over about a third of Iraq and Syria and declared the captured territory a new caliphate, and even push it to surrender taken territory.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Independent UK, Zachary Davies Boren