A father has gone viral with a heartwarming story of how his Golden Retriever saved his family’s life after discovering a deadly fire in their garden.
The American Twitter user, who goes by the name of Ulysses S. Cocksman online, told how his wife and children were asleep in bed around midnight on Friday night when their dog Hank started barking.
When he went to the living room to investigate the noise, the horrified dad realised a huge fire had broken out in the back yard, describing how it was ‘glowing orange’.
After evacuating the family and their two dogs, firefighters were called who eventually managed to extinguish the fire – leaving the house ‘black and crispy on one side’.
Taking to Twitter, the proud dad shared a a picture of the dog from six years ago, writing: ‘I want to tell you a story about Hank, and I want you to know that it has a happy ending. This is Hank 6 years ago.
‘My wife got a reminder yesterday that 6 years ago Hank ate her brand new slip on Vans. Look at that guilty pup. Come on, Hank.’
He then continued with his story, telling how the same dog was to save their lives just hours later.
He tweeted: ‘Within a few hours of that reminder, at midnight last night, Hank started barking from the living room. My wife and kids were asleep, I was finishing up a movie in another room. Hank would not shut up.
‘So I dragged myself off the couch and went out to the living room to make him stop. As soon as I came around the corner, I saw that the entire yard was glowing orange.’
Describing the dramatic scene, he continued: ‘The very large wooden work shed full of gasoline, paint and God knows what else was blazing. The oaks were on fire. Flaming leaves and embers were blowing everywhere.
‘We got everyone up, 911 on the line, the whole family and both dogs out front in what felt like a few seconds. The fence and the neighbor’s shed went up like a torch. We were able to wake her up and get her kids and dog outside just as the fire crew got there.’
Admitting that the story could have had a very different ending, he said: ‘The fire spread to the back of our house the same minute the firefighters got the hoses to it. A minute or two more, and it was gone. Instead, everyone is safe, and we still have a house. It’s black and crispy on one side, but it’s totally intact.’
And the grateful father concluded by thanking the fire service, tweeting: ‘The firefighters were absolutely amazing. It was windy, so they had to contain and deal with this for two adjacent blocks. Just totally, unbelievably skilled and coordinated.’
Crediting Hank for saving their lives, the proud dog owner shared another snap of the pooch, writing: ‘This is him today, 6 years after eating some shoes, 15 hours after saving our house and family. He can have all the shoes and steak he wants, and I will never get mad at him for barking, ever again. 15/10, the very best boy.’
The tweet quickly went viral, racking up over 30,000 likes, retweets and replies with followers praising the heartwarming story.
‘Glad y’all are safe. Extra pats for Hank tonight’ (sic), one follower wrote.
Another added: ‘Big love for Hank. Hopefully he gets a steak and a new pair of shoes to party with!’.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, by Jessica Rach