Southern California authorities have arrested a suspect in connection to a nearly half-century-old murder case.
Newport Beach police and Orange County prosecutors said they’ll reveal details of their probe of a 1973 slaying during a 10 a.m. press conference on Wednesday.
Authorities declined to immediately disclose details of the arrest, but Newport Beach police said last year they were taking a fresh look at the 1973 slaying of 11-year-old Linda O’Keefe.
The girl lived in the Corona del Mar neighborhood of Newport Beach and was last seen alive on July 6, 1973, as she walked home from summer school.
O’Keefe was strangled and her body found the next day.
“My office will never forget about cold cases,” Orange County DA Todd Spitzer said in a statement on Tuesday. “Our hearts go out to the victim and the victim’s family in this case, having to endure decades without answers. We will make sure that the defendant is fairly and justly held accountable in a court of law.”
Spitzer’s statement thanked the FBI, the Colorado Springs Police Department, and the El Paso County Sheriff’s Department in Colorado for their assistance.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: NBC News, David K. Li