A 7-month-old died after being found in a hot car Tuesday at a motel in Kingsland, police told Jacksonville.com. It is the first hot-car death in Georgia this year.
Authorities arrived at the Quality Inn on Robert Edenfield Drive after being notified that a baby wasn’t breathing. Officers found the baby dead at the scene, according to Jacksonville.com.
A witness told the news site they heard a woman at the hotel yelling that her baby was choking and screamed for him to “save my baby.” The witness said he tried to do CPR, but blood was coming out of the baby’s nose. The child also felt hot.
Temperatures in the region reached 90 degrees just before thunderstorms struck the area, according to the online news site.
“We are attempting to handle the investigation with the utmost sensitivity and care out of respect for the family as possible to ensure the integrity of our investigation,” Kingsland Police Department Inspector Donald Belcher told the news site.
It is not known if the child and the caregivers were staying at the motel or were just parked there.
The hot car-related death is the first this year in Georgia, which ranks fifth in the nation with 37 fatalities since 1995, according to KidsandCars.org, an organization that keeps track of hot car deaths in United States. There have been 14 child vehicular heatstroke deaths in 2018.
Read more of the story here.
SOURCE: The Atlanta-Journal Constitution – Raisa Habersham