In the wake of Vice President Mike Pence’s announcement last October that the United States government would provide direct aid to persecuted Iraqi Christians struggling to rebuild following the liberation of the Nineveh Plains, the Trump administration has taken concrete steps to follow through on its promises.
Trump’s administration announced that it has renegotiated an agreement with the U.N. to ensure that vulnerable Christians, Yazidis and other religious minorities victimized by the Islamic State in Iraq will get the U.N. assistance they were previously denied.
The administration has also announced that it’s accepting proposals by private organizations on the ground in Iraq to receive direct assistance from the U.S. government to rebuild the ancestral homelands of Christians and other minorities destroyed by the jihadi death cult.
According to a press release sent out by the U.S. Agency for International Development, the agency has ensured that $55 million of its $75 million payment to the U.N. Development Program Funding Facility for Stabilization in Iraq “will address the needs of vulnerable religious and ethnic minority communities” in the Nineveh Province.
USAID has been granted more oversight to ensure that the U.N. funding marked for minorities is spent effectively.
“The modified agreement ensures that the U.S. contribution will help the populations of liberated areas in Ninewa Province resume normal lives by restoring services such as water, electricity, sewage, health, and education,” the release explains.
The $75 million payment is the first portion of a $150 million allotment designated for FFS, which was announced by U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Douglas Silliman last July. According to USAID, “fulfillment of the rest of that pledge will depend on UNDP’s success in putting in place additional accountability, transparency, and due-diligence measures for the FFS.”
Iraqi Christian leaders and human rights activists have raised numerous complaints about how thousands of persecuted and displaced minorities were not receiving their fair share United Nations assistance for community rebuilding efforts.
In his announcement of direct U.S. assistance for Iraqi religious minorities last year, Pence slammed the U.N. for the fact that Christians in the Nineveh Plains have had “less than 2 percent of their housing needs addressed and the majority of Christians and Yazidis remain in shelters.”
Given the UNDP’s history, at least one prominent human rights expert remains wary despite the administration’s announcement.
“I have no confidence in the UNDP,” Hudson Institute senior fellow Nina Shea, a former commissioner on the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, told The Christian Post in an email Friday. “As USAID is now willing to admit, UNDP has been grossly mismanaged, is not transparent, and has deliberately marginalized the genocide that targeted Christian and Yazidi minorities for over the past two years.”
According to Shea, the success of the new agreement “will depend on the vigilance of USAID overseers.”
“The funds will have to be closely monitored, not just on paper, but in field checks and through regular input from church leaders on the ground,” Shea asserted.
Philippe Nassif, the executive director of the human rights lobbying group In Defense of Christians, told CP in a statement that his organization is “confident” that the Trump administration will “keep a close watch” on how UNDP is allocating the money the U.S. has given to help religious minorities rebuild their lives.