3 People Treated for Smoke Inhalation After Fire at Manchester Flats

Three people have been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a block of flats in Manchester city centre.

The blaze on Saturday started on the ninth floor of a 12-storey building in Joiner Street, near the Arndale Centre.

The fire service said the flames had spread to other floors via wooden balconies and no external cladding was involved. Four properties were affected, it added.

An investigation is due to start later.

‘Pretty horrifying’

Two people were treated at the scene and a 23-year-old man was taken to hospital by a family member.

Five residents have been temporarily re-housed, police tweeted.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue sent 12 appliances to deal with the blaze in the Northern Quarter, which began at about 16:00 GMT.

The eighth floor of the building – which adjoins a 20-storey block – suffered smoke damage, while floors 10 and 11 were affected externally.

Shoppers watched as crews dealt with the fire. Witness Les Gunn said there had been “lots of smoke and debris”.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: BBC News