We combined steak, onion, and lots of melty provolone to create a soup you won’t be able to stop thinking about.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced
- 3 Green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. sliced provolone, chopped, plus more for baguette
- Baguette, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add half the onion and cook until soft, 6 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add flour and whisk until golden, 2 to 3 minutes, then add broth and let simmer, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining oil. Add steak, all onions, and green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until steak is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire and season with salt and pepper.
- Add cheese to soup and stir until melted, then add steak mixture to soup and let heat through, 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler. Ladle soup into oven-safe ramekins and top with baguette slice and additional provolone.
- Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes.
SOURCE: Delish, by LINDSAY FUNSTON