CBS News and PBS Fire Charlie Rose

CBS News and PBS both said Tuesday that Charlie Rose’s contracts with them had been terminated.

An internal memo at CBS, which announced its move first, said the decision “followed the revelation yesterday of extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior.”

On Monday The Washington Post published a 5,000-word story about alleged harassment by Rose, based on interviews with eight women who described “unwanted sexual advances.”

Rose said in a statement that he “deeply apologized” for what he admitted was “inappropriate behavior.”

After the initial Post story came out, other women came forward with additional allegations of sexual misconduct. By Tuesday morning, CBS executives determined that it was impossible for him to return to “CBS This Morning,” the daily broadcast he has co-hosted for the past five years.

CBS did not immediately name a replacement for Rose on the program.

Later in the day, CBS reported that some of the new complaints against Rose were lodged by colleagues within its news organization.

“At least three women who asked not to be identified said they experienced unwanted sexual contact from Rose while working at CBS News,” Bianna Golodryga reported on the “CBS Evening News.”

She added: “Two of the women who came forward at CBS say they are not ready for the details of their allegations to be made public. But a third woman alleges Rose whispered a sexual innuendo while touching her inappropriately at a work-related event.”

Golodryga said “we reached out to Charlie and have not heard back.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: CNN, Brian Stelter and Tom Kludt