Police Body Camera Captures Officer Being Shot Multiple Times; Thankfully, he Survived

Officer Quincy Smith’s blood-streaked hands during the incident.
Officer Quincy Smith’s blood-streaked hands during the incident.

It was New Year’s morning in 2016, and the cop with the call-sign Echo 7 was on the trail of a belligerent man in Estill, S.C.

Officer Quincy Smith was called to investigate a suspicious man trying to snatch groceries from a convenience store in the small town of about 2,000 people.

Smith, wearing glasses outfitted with a video camera, speaks to a woman in the store. She gestures toward a park and says a man later identified as Malcolm Antwan Orr, 29, in a camouflage hunting outfit, is under a tree some distance away. Smith pursues Orr in his patrol car and gets out to confront him.

“Come here for a second,” Smith calls out. No answer.

Orr keeps walking. “Come here!” Smith yells. No answer.

Orr walks with his left hand holding a cellphone to his ear. His right hand is concealed in his jacket. Smith commands him to take it out.

“If you don’t stop, I’m going to Tase you!” Smith roars.

Orr looks back, and in one crackling motion, flashes a 9mm pistol and fires multiple shots, sending Smith tumbling to the ground. Orr continues to fire rounds at Smith as he goes to the ground, eight shots in total, before he flees.

“Shots fired!” Smith yells into his handheld radio, the high-definition image spinning as if the glasses were flung from the roof of a building. Smith scrambles to the patrol car to alert his dispatch.

The horrific scene and near death of Smith was captured on the video released Thursday, a day after the conviction and sentencing of Orr, who faces 35 years in prison for attempted murder and gun-related charges, South Carolina’s 14th Circuit’s Solicitor’s Office said in a news release.

Smith is in bad shape as he reaches his patrol car. A physician would later testify a bullet severed a vein on the right side of his neck. Another round passed through his upper torso and lodged into his back. Both of his arms were broken.

Click here to continue reading…

The Washington Post