1. ABC – An 18-year-old woman is dead and 22 people are injured after a car crash in Times Square in New York City today, police said. There is no indication of terrorism based on information at this time, Mayor Bill de Blasio said. Police said the driver is in custody and this is believed to be an isolated incident. Police said the car struck 23 pedestrians and 22 people were taken to nearby hospitals, including the 13-year-old sister of the deceased victim. Officials said four people are in critical condition, three others suffered serious injuries and the other 15 people have less serious injuries.
2. The Hill – Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes died Thursday morning at 77, Fox News reported. The network shared a statement from Ailes’s wife Elizabeth Ailes announcing the death. The statement was first obtained by conservative website The Drudge Report. “I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning,” the statement said. “During a career that stretched over more than five decades, his work in entertainment, in politics, and in news affected the lives of many millions. And so even as we mourn his death, we celebrate his life. Ailes resigned as the head of Fox News in July 2016 after 20 years leading the network, amid sexual harassment allegations.
3. CNN – President Donald Trump bemoaned what he called the “single greatest witch hunt” in political history Thursday, after the appointment of a special counsel to investigate any links between his 2016 campaign and Russia. Hours after issuing a more muted official statement in coordination with aides, the President took to Twitter to portray himself as unfairly victimized by the probe. His complaints contrasted sharply with the near universal welcome in Washington for Robert Mueller, the former FBI director picked for the special counsel post Wednesday by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
4. AP – A jury has acquitted a white Oklahoma police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year. The jury reached its verdict after deliberating for just over nine hours Wednesday. Tulsa Officer Betty Jo Shelby says she shot 40-year-old Terence Crutcher out of fear because she said he didn’t obey commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she thought was a gun.
5. Charisma – Megachurch pastor Rodney J. Washington Sr. died Tuesday after a battle with cancer. He was 54. “Apostle R.J. Washington has been a voice for humanity and an oracle of faith. He steadily sought to compel people to be drawn to the love of a forgiving God. His example of stewardship and love will forever be held close to all of whom he and his wife touched. His contagious laughter and winsome smile will be remembered through the annals of time and his legacy will never fade,” according to a statement on his Facebook page. Washington founded Titus Harvest Dome Spectrum Church in 1985.
6. AP – Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who built a following among conservatives with his provocative social media presence and strong support of Donald Trump, said Wednesday that he’s taken a job as an assistant secretary in the Department of Homeland Security. The department declined to immediately confirm the appointment.
7. RNS – Evangelical leaders are praising President Trump for pressing for the release of American pastor Andrew Brunson during Trump’s meeting this week with the Turkish president. “This shows the clear and open lines of communication between evangelicals and this White House,” said Johnnie Moore, an author and advocate for persecuted Christians. Brunson, a North Carolina native, has been detained in Turkey since October.
As you go throughout this day, keep this word in mind: Colossians 3:23 says, “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;”
Thomas a Kempis said, “What you are, that you are; neither by word can you be made greater than what you are in the sight of God.”
God loves you. He always has and He always will. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” If you don’t know Jesus as your Saviour, today is a good day to get to know Him. Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose from the dead for you. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart and He will. Romans 10:13 says, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Thanks so much for listening and may God bless your day!