Former Executive of Mexican Newspaper Reportedly Stole Tom Brady’s Super Bowl Jerseys
A former executive of a tabloid newspaper in Mexico City allegedly swiped two of Tom Brady’s game-worn New England Patriots Super Bowl jerseys and potentially the helmet worn by Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller during Super Bowl 50.
Mauricio Ortega was the director of La Presna before he offered his resignation last week.
La Presna later released a seven-point statement Monday afternoon, which was translated by USA TODAY Sports, indicating it was just learning of the allegations against Ortega:
- On March 14, 2017, at approximately 8:30 p.m., Mr. Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos arrived at the corporate offices to present his resignation as the Director of the Newspaper LA PRENSA, citing personal reasons.
- That resignation was accepted, since on multiple occasions, Mr. Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos expressed he was undergoing difficulties, related to the health of family members close to him.
- With complete surprise and disappointment, today we have received the news of the alleged behavior by Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos on February 5, 2017, inside NRG Stadium in Houston Texas, where Super Bowl LI took place.
- Editora La Prensa S.A. de C.V., if these allegations are true, strongly rejects the behavior of Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos, who took advantage of the position he held, used the newspaper La Prensa to obtain media credentials to access the field of play, press conferences and probably other areas of NRG Stadium.
- It is worth noting that none of the managers of Editora La Prensa, S.A. de C.V., nor of the Organizacion Editorial Mexicana, had any knowledge of the unfortunate and reproachable acts that Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos allegedly committed on February 5, 2017, since no local or federal authorities sought information from the legal department of this publishing house in relation to Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos, much less over his role during Super Bowl LI that took place in Houston; for that reason, this is why we became aware of the alleged actions by Martin Mauricio Ortega Camberos at this moment.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: USA Today, A.J. Perez and Lorenzo Reyes