About 30 tents remained in place Friday as the deadline for homeless people to vacate a San Francisco tent city came and went without any action.
The homeless living in the encampment had until 5 p.m. Friday to clear out, Sam Dodge, the mayor’s point person on homelessness, said. City officials and the San Francisco Police have not said what they intend to do with the tent residents.
City officials said Tuesday they were giving the tent city’s residents 72 hours to move out of the camp after declaring the area along a busy San Francisco street a health hazard. At its height, nearly 140 tents populated the area, drawing complaints from residents and businesses.
According to The New York Times, the city took aim at about 50 tents near a highway overpass which was home to about 6,000 homeless people because of the “accumulation of garbage, human feces, hypodermic needles, urine odors” and other unsatisfactory conditions.
The homeless and their advocates say they need more services and homes for the unhoused. An estimated 3,500 people sleep on the streets of San Francisco each night.
“I’m not going to let somebody run me out of somewhere where I’ve made my home,” said camper Patrita Tripp, as she dished cold beef pasta out of a can earlier this week. “Where am I supposed to go?”
However, businesses have complained about the tents. In one instance, a founder of a technology starter posted a letter to San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, complaining that he “shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle and despair of homeless people” on his way to work.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Fox News, The Associated Press